Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Some things are sacred.

Last week I learned a couple of new things:
1) A large part of the reason I did the whole easter basket thing for my daughter this year was so that I could have the extra candy laying around for me to eat.
2) No matter how small the person, I am unable to raid another being's candy-stash.

Hubby and I had as much fun buying the candy and reliving our childhood memories of easter candy, as we did seeing Monkey have a ball finding those plastic eggs and shoving as much of their sugary contents into her mouth at once as possible . We (hubby and I) also managed to polish off the leftover mini-candy-bar mix by sunday night. My role as "Mom" in this family means that I am one-half of the "keepers of the easter basket", monitoring and doling out the easter treats at some reasonably slower-than-she'd-like rate until they are gone. So there I was Monday afternoon, in the midst of PMS, when I caught the glimpse of the little Almond Joy bars and Reeses-cups peeking out of Monkey's easter basket. I am proud that almost as soon as I thought "she'll never notice if I were to have one or two of her candy-bars," I found that place in myself where a person's candy-stash is sacred. Raiding my daughter's candy was as disgusting a thought as... say, dressing her up in a giant floofy dress and fake lashes, and entering her in a toddler-pageant (and to me, that's really frickin disgusting...). So I just ate some of the leftover gumdrops and sat back with the contented smile of a woman who could look her daughter in the eye when she woke up from her nap. I do have the feeling, though, that there will be a day when life is just too much and I do take that tiny morsel of chocolate, with the knowledge that once upon a time, life was simpler and I saved my "keeper-of-the-candy" priviledge for this moment that would make or break my sanity.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Witty One said...

Ehh, by that time you will have engineered the sharing response. This is important, but not treated in any child-rearing book I've seen. You must start early, when they're pliable, by saying things like "Would you be such a Nice Girl and share some of that Double-Fudge Chocolate ice cream with Mommy?" Then lavishly praising her when she does. Later you may have to use reasoning, such as "Remember how Mommy shared the yummy raisins with you? You wouldn't feel good if Mommy stopped sharing, would you?" Guilt is important, and we must work to install it early, so that we can take a few of our kids' candy bars RIGHT BEFORE THEIR OWN EYES. Just (half) kidding, of course. Heh heh heh.

4/19/2006 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home