Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Comforts of Home

Oh yeah. Continuing on my sister's food train, I guess, here I am, buzzed on Costco-bought premixed margaritas and my yummy total splurge of a dinner tonight: tacos.

"What?" you might say, "tacos a splurge and an amazing luxury; on what planet?" (Because we all know margaritas are that, right?) And I would answer you: Planet Seoul, South Korea. Here, tacos take Major Planning. I can't get taco seasoning, taco sauce/salsa, sour cream, avocado, monterey jack cheese, or flour tortillas at my local supermarket. (Go ahead, take a moment, collect yourself.) So there's the 45 minute (one-way) trip to the city's main imported goods supermarket -- lovely traffic we have here. Then you can calculate that each of the ingredients above cost at least twice what it would cost in the U.S. (import duties - a country's gotta make a living, don't you know). Monterey jack we had to grate ourselves: $8. McCormick's Taco Seasoning (1 packet): $2. Chowing on Tacos Like Momma Used to Make for the first time in six months: Priceless.

In short, you gotta really want tacos here to get them. I'm not saying there aren't restaurants here that try to do South American cuisine, because there are (three, maybe?). I'm just not that impressed. See, we were spoiled in the U.S. We had this place called Rio Grande Cafe where we lived; now them was good eats. O Rio Grande Cafe, can't you come to Seoul? Koreans like sizzling beef.

So once we had everything sliced, diced, and sauteed, we pigged out. Judging by the ecstatic grunting my husband was doing on the other side of the table, he experienced an extended gastronomic orgasm of tantric proportions. Sting would have been jealous. Now we're both lolling in post-taco bliss, but it was over really fast for all the preparation we had to do. I guess that's always how it is. Nothing but the taco burps to remind us...until next time. Maybe we'll have expat friends over for a taco orgy.

So anyway, I.O, just be glad for your Totino's pizza rolls. I don't want to tell you what that afternoon would have cost over here. One time I paid about $7 to get a package of two frozen Croissant Pockets. Desperation will do that to you. Gotta go digest now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Wow, I feel very indulged now. I can't imagine life where tacos are a delicacy- oh wait, yes, I can. I lived in Korea once too. I'm glad taco night was a success!

9/10/2005 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home