Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Calling Julia

Sigh of relief #1: Son the Older is back in school today. School lasts until 3pm. Momma like school.

Sigh of relief #2: Son the Younger will return to Korean preschool tomorrow. I pick him up on the way back from picking up the Older. He even gets a hot lunch there, all for 1/3 of the price American daycare costs. Korean preschool rocks.

HOWEVER, all is not well, being as we have on the horizon a...

Crisis requiring immediate attention: what the heck is for dinner?

See, we came back from Hong Kong on Saturday night (oh yes, Hong Kong was terrific) and ordered pizza. Sunday night we went out to a nearby Korean restaurant. Then Monday and Tuesday I made use of the meager remaining contents of my pantry to compose some reliable, yet simple, favorites.

So now it is Wednesday. Because I am spoiled with the childcare options outlined above, I have been waiting till the munchkins are out of my hair to make my first foray to the supermarket since coming back from vacation. Go ahead, call me a wimp; words will never harm me - just the melee that ensues when I try to take both boys to the supermarket.

Alas, pizza night isn't till tomorrow. Hence, the only dinner options I have right now are pretty much plain pasta, Eggo waffles, or a buffet of sidedishes: instant mashed potatoes, broccoli, boxed herb rice and kimchi.

(Several different varieties of kimchi are pungently perfuming the fridge right now, which seem to have been bestowed upon us during our vacation absence by Hubby's generous aunt, oblivious to the fact that I don't see a blue moon coming on the calendar when we would be pulling it out to consume. So for now, it's just making me think twice before holding the fridge door open for too long.)

So I need Julia Child. Or that Surprise chef from that show where they show up at your house and make a luscious dinner with just what's in your cupboard. (I'd like to see 'em TRY.) Or, actually, my cleaning lady. She can always seem to whip up a soup and several sidedishes from thin air. HELP.

Well, it's off to stare at my cupboard again, since I can't bring myself to experience the Angry Fighting Kimchi smells in my fridge. Anyone up for Betty Crocker box cake for dinner? Why must men always demand meat? Ugh. Bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home