Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Shhh! I'm here quickly to explain my absence. See, September 18th is the mother of all Korean holidays: Chuseok (pronounced, um, well, like 'chew-suck.' So bad it must be true.) While the name sounds very foreign, it's a time when Korean families get three days off to gather from far and wide and enjoy a pasttime altogether too familiar to Americans -- pigging out.

It's a three-day eating extravaganza, and I had a good time. I love Korean food and my husband's aunt, who lives nearby, is an awesome cook. So I had to break out my denim overalls yesterday to get some temporary waistline allowance. I'm telling you, my husband, after seeing me change into pajamas the other day, affectionately called me "tubby."

My in-laws also flew into town from their home in Beijing to take part in the festivities, and I haven't been logging much keyboard time as a result. They're staying with us, you see. I love my mother-in-law dearly -- and I know she likes me too -- but we have different energy levels. She can't stop moving and I ... can. So it seems the minute I sit to read the paper or drink some water she's off to the kitchen preparing another full meal for four, while answering the phone, playing with both my sons a moment and picking up and washing out all the stray dishes left around on the way. All in the time it takes me to mutter, "Oh Mom, you don't haaaave to do that..."

So guilt must be the theme of the week. The guilt is keeping me away, and because she's never ever made me feel the slightest bit bad about it I feel worse. (In fact, sometimes I think she enjoys visiting us because she knows she can do her thing here and I won't get in the way!) The only reason I'm posting right now is because, in a rare human turn, she is taking a nap. So give me something affirming to chant, won'tcha? Ugh, I am so inadequate compared to the caretaking skills of my mother-in-law, or the cooking skills of my aunt-in-law. And now I am 'tubby' to boot. There's nothing like a big family holiday to make ya feel loved and worthy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Let the record show that W.O. would really need to gain, oh, about 100 pounds before she could be called "Tubby" I miss Chuseok! Yummy memories!

The I.O.

9/20/2005 7:49 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

oh yeah, and i hope this means you're back W.O. I was beginning to wonder if I needed to rename this blog "Alone and Irreverent"

9/21/2005 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home