Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Shamefully Basic

I am so happy. I am happy because a shipment has arrived and in that shipment, a new white t-shirt. Hooray, a white t-shirt! Oh, it's gorgeous. It fits really nicely. It's not too 'boy' and it's not too 'girl.' Can be dressed up or down. I can tell this is going to become my new 'best white t-shirt' that I will closely guard the washing and drying of so that it is ready to be donned whenever I have an important mommy/casual social event. I may even need to order a second identical one to bear the traffic.

This happiness is, honestly, absurd. No, really, it is. Because as you may be able to tell, I am a little 'round the bend about white t-shirts. I love them, and I have many of them; about 17 to be precise (yes, I just counted) in varying moods, styles, and sleeve lengths. I am not counting another half-dozen or so white sweaters and button-fronts.

I would be happy to wear a white t-shirt almost every day if it wouldn't turn into a joke or be boring. ("Look, there's that chick who always only wears white shirts! Try to spill something near her!") With my white t-shirts and khakis or jeans whenever I get the chance, I am a Gap executive's wet dream. Dress up occasion? Then white top BLACK pants/skirt, of course. You can't go wrong. Attention, Banana Republic/Gap: Hire me for your next ad campaign! (Or maybe pay me to dress differently.) At least I've learned how to drape a bright cardigan over my shoulders for some color, when appropriate.

Did you remember this about me, I.O.? Yes indeed, internet, this has been so for many years now. I used to jealousy guard my favorite white shirts when we still lived in our childhood home, and it seemed like EVERY TIME I lent one to I.O. it would be spaghetti food fight day day in the school cafeteria. With so much practice, I am excellent at stain removal. Bring it on.

By now I have learned to accept my pathologically basic self. I have even learned to view it as a certain signature style (albeit a lame, unimaginative one). So indulge me, and believe me, I may have found the queen of white tees this time. I'll probably wear it tomorrow; it's good cardigan weather here. Can't wait!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We should go out together. My t-shirts are black! saw you at Michele's today.

10/12/2005 4:57 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh, As soon as I saw that this post was about a new white t-shirt, I really didn't need to read the rest. I remember your obsession with white shirts, and I must admit, every time I put on one of my two seasonal white t-shirts I think of you. And by the way, One post doesn't "make up" for all the days we're too lazy/busy/non-witty or irreverent to post!

you crazy,
The I.O.

10/12/2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Oh yeah, I need to add that the Spaghetti incident was not a food-fight, and the victim was a baby blue and white striped sweater, not one of your precious white shirts! So there, old lady!

10/24/2005 11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home