Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Sue me, sue me what can you do me?!!

Why is it a crime to be educated? Apparently nobody told me (or any member of my family) that if you are young you are not allowed to be smart. AH, the politics of the workplace. Here are the reasons I am despised

1) I got my Master's degree in a field which I love
2) I am willing to work my butt off if you're willing to hire me.
3) Because of #1 and #2, the people I work for tend to like me being around and take it upon themselves to spread the word.

Apparently those things give my coworkers a right to be pissed. Why? Because:

1) They didn't choose to go to school for this occupation or possibly anything.
2) They choose to show up to do the minimum possible work for the maximum amount of money.
3)They choose to get all pissy when they don't get recommended or requested specifically by employers (because they have a bad attitude, and don't know as much as other people and like to take smoke breaks- A LOT!)

So, I ask you, dear faithful reader- Should I feel guilty that my employer asks for me by name even when I tell him I work through a certain organization which means he must pay more for my services? No, Absolutely not. DO I Feel guilty? Of Course, because I want to be LUUUUUUVED! I read a good book the other night for free while sitting in the cafe at Borders called "Nice Girls don't get the corner office" ( So I guess those that have paid for that book have a right to be pissed at me now...) I don't remember any word for word quotes for you, but the gist is that women tend to sabotage their own career advancement in an effort to remain LUUUUUUVED by all those who come in contact with them. I am guilty of this, most certainly. I'll leave it to you to educate yourselves if you're interested in reading more.

I refuse to apologize for my advanced degree which I paid for dearly in blood (yes, literally) and sweat and sleepless nights/mornings, and gas-money and sheer exhausted tears and student loans (still paying). I took the time to get a degree with the goal of skipping those years of "experience" and dues-paying at the bottom of the ladder. So, should you, my cowroker, hold it against me that my hard work is paying off? NO, YOU DAMN WELL SHOULDN'T! But of course, with "office" politics being what they are, I will not say this to your tobacco-shriveled faces, because I at least want to be treated civilly if not invited to dinner when the gang all goes out. In the end, what you should realize is that I am just like you, only smarter and prettier and younger. But I'm still really nice about it.

the I.O.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Witty One said...

I hear you loud and clear, sis. (As you know I spent seven years battling this kind of thing in a building seemingly full of mediocre older white males myself.) And you know what, the cream always rises to the top. Your only obligation to those sourpusses is to be polite and civil...and to throw a coin in their guitar cases while their lazy, unemployed butts play on the corner. NEVER apologize for your God-given talent. Peace out.

10/05/2005 3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, listen to your big sis there sweetie. You rock, some people will whine no matter what. If they feel threatened by your superior skills, they will whine about you. Offer them some cheese next time.

Now maybe this next part isn't on topic, but I doubt the topic will ever come up, so here goes: when you sign your posts "I.O." I can't get "Captain Eo" (pronounced "eye-oh") out of my head for the next several hours. You remember Captain Eo? Michael Jackson's 3-D contribution to Epcot Center? Why must you torment me so?

10/06/2005 12:31 AM  
Blogger The Witty One said...

She torments you so because she's so dang IRREVERENT! Bwa-haha.

Awww, come on, you knew it when you married her...heck, that's prolly why you DID. Take care, BIL.

10/06/2005 3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home